Maxine isn't as popular as it was during the first half of the 20th century, but the baby name is making a comeback, perhaps as part of the “grandma name” trend. The feminine version of Max or Maximus, it's got a really cool meaning and comes with some cute nicknames. It also pairs well with both classic and trendy middle names.
Meaning of the name Maxine:
Latin: The greatest
Origin of the name Maxine:
Maxine is the feminine version of Max, which is derived from Maximus, which means “the greatest” in Latin.
Symbolism of the name Maxine:
Many Roman aristocrats chose Maximus as a cognomen or third name to signify their own strength and greatness.
Style of the name Maxine:
Gender of the name Maxine:
Maxine is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Maxine:
Number of syllables in the name Maxine:
Emotion evoked from the name Maxine:
Maxine evokes images of a woman who is smart, strong and knows what she wants out of life.
Alternative spellings for the name Maxine:
Nicknames for the name Maxine:
Popularity of the name Maxine:
Maxine was a top 1,000 baby name in the United States from 1900 through the late 1970s. Ever since, it's been on and off the charts, according to the Social Security Administration. As of 2020, it ranks at number 737.
Related names for the name Maxine:
Great middle names for Maxine and their meanings:
- Amelia (work)
- Rose (flower)
- Arabella (yielding to prayer)
- Rebecca (to tie, bind)
- Ophelia (help)
- Auora (dawn)
- Ruby (precious red stone)
- Olivia (olive tree)
- Avery (ruler of the elves)
Famous people with the name Maxine:
- Maxine Andrews (singer)
- Maxine Brown (singer)
- Maxine Waters (politician)
- Maxine Peake (actress)
- Maxine Elliott (actress)
Maxines in popular culture:
- Maxine Peacock (character from the soap opera “Coronation Street”)
- Maxine Conway (character on the TV show “Wentworth”)
- Maxine Mayfield (character from the TV show “Stranger Things”)
- Maxine Shaw (character from the TV show “Living Single”)
- Maxine Baker (DC Comics character)
- Maxine Hong Kingston (writer)