Marco is an Italian and Spanish version of the name Mark. Marco means “warlike” and has been popular since 1918. Marco Polo is a famous Italian explorer who was instrumental in connecting trade routes between Europe and Asia and makes a great name for parents who hope their baby boy will make life into an adventure.
Meaning of the name Marco:
Italian, Spanish: warlike
Origin of the name Marco:
Marco is a boy’s name of Italian and Spanish that means “warlike”. Marco is related to the name Mark. Marco is a common given name in Italy, Spain, Germany, Portugal, and Brazil.
Symbolism of the name Marco:
Marco means “warlike” and is related to the name of the Roman god and red planet Mars. Mars’ primary symbol is the spear and shield as well as bow and arrows.
Style of the name Marco:
Gender of the name Marco:
Marco is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Marco:
MAR-ko (Italian, Spanish, German), MAR-koo (European Portuguese), MAKH-koo (Brazilian Portuguese), MAHR-ko (Dutch)
Number of syllables in the name Marco:
Emotion evoked from the name Marco:
Marco evokes feelings of exploration and charisma.
Alternative spellings for the name Marco:
Nicknames for the name Marco:
Popularity of the name Marco:
According to the Social Security Administration, Marco is a common boy’s name that has been in the top 1000 names since 1918. Marco was at peak popularity between 1992 and 2005 when it stayed in the top 200 names.
Related names for the name Marco:
Great middle names for the name Marco and their meanings:
- Salvatore (savior)
- Luis (renowned warrior)
- Jaime (supplanter)
- August (magnificent)
- Asher (fortunate, happy one, ash tree)
- Levi (attached)
- Cassius (hollow)
- Casimir (destroyer of peace)
Famous people with the name Marco:
- Marco Polo (Italian explorer)
- Marco Delgado (American soccer player)
- Marco Reus (German footballer)
- Marco Fabbri (Italian ice dancer)
- Marco Pierre White (British chef)
Marcos in popular culture:
- Marco Del Rossi (television, “Degrassi: The Next Generation”)
- Marco (film, “Dinner for Schmucks”)
- Marco (video game, “Spyro the Dragon”)
- Marco Alisdair (literature, “Night Circus” by Erin Morgenstern)