Emmanuel is a boy’s baby name that means “God is with us”. It is the French and English version of the Hebrew name Immanuel. Emmanuel is a great name for devout parents with the unavoidable association with Judaism and Christianity.
Meaning of the name Emmanuel:
French, English: God is with us
Origin of the name Emmanuel:
Emmanuel is a French and English name that means “God is with us”. Emmanuel comes from the Hebrew name Immanuel.
Symbolism of the name Emmanuel:
Emmanuel features in many Christian hymns and brings to mind beautiful old churches with large stained glass windows.
Style of the name Emmanuel:
Gender of the name Emmanuel:
Emmanuel is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Emmanuel:
EH-MA-NWEHL (French). i-MAN-yoo-ehl (English)
Number of syllables in the name Emmanuel:
three or four, depending on pronunciation
Emotion evoked from the name Emmanuel:
Emmanuel evokes feelings of peace and compassion.
Alternative spellings for the name Emmanuel:
Nicknames for the name Emmanuel:
Popularity of the name Emmanuel:
According to the Social Security Administration, is a boy’s baby name that fell in and out of popularity in the early 20th century. Since the 1960’s Emmanuel has been steadily rising in popularity and as of 2020 it is #150.
Related names for the name Emmanuel:
Great middle names for the name Emmanuel and their meanings:
- Levi (joined, attached)
- Noah (rest, repose)
- Rhys (ardor)
- Thomas (twin)
- Cyrus (sun)
- Julian (youthful, downy-bearded, or sky father)
- James (supplanter)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
- Alexander (defending men)
- Ambrose (immortal)
- Charles (free man)
- Nicholas (people of victory)
- Anthony (priceless one)
- Stephen (garland, crown)
- Jonathan (gift of Jehovah)
Famous people with the name Emmanuel:
- Emmanuel Arceneaux (American football player)
- Emmanuel Stephens (American football player)
- Emmanuel Niamiah Sanders (American football player)
- Emmanuel Collard (French racing driver)
- Emmanuel Levinas (French philosopher)
- Emmanuel Banahene (Ghanaian footballer)
- Emmanuel Bett (Kenyan long-distance runner)
- Emmanuel Farhi (French economist)
Emmanuels in popular culture:
- “O Come, O Come Emmanuel,” (music, a Christmas hymn)
- Emmanuel (television, “Supernatural”)