Stephen is a Greek baby boy’s name that means “garland, crown”. Stephen has remained consistently popular since 1900 and is a classic choice. Stephen has two common pronunciations: STEE-vən and STEHF-ən.
Meaning of the name Stephen:
Greek: garland, crown
Origin of the name Stephen:
Stephen is a Greek boy’s name meaning “garland, crown”. Stephen is also a Biblical name. Stephen is a variant spelling of the names Steven and Stefan.
Symbolism of the name Stephen:
The garland or crown is a symbol of power, victory, strength, and honor in the ancient Greek world. Garlands were often worn by victors in games and war.
Style of the name Stephen:
Gender of the name Stephen:
Stephen is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Stephen:
STEE-vən, STEHF-ən (English)
Number of syllables in the name Stephen:
Emotion evoked from the name Stephen:
Stephen evokes feelings of intelligence and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Stephen:
Nicknames for the name Stephen:
Popularity of the name Stephen:
According to the Social Security Administration, Stephen has been a consistently popular boy’s name since 1900. Stephen was in the top 100 names from 1907 to 1921 and again from 1936 to 2000. As of 2020 Stephen is #324.
Related names for the name Stephen:
Great middle names for the name Stephen and their meanings:
- Matthew (gift of God)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
- Noah (rest, repose)
- Isaac (laughter)
- Eli (ascended, uplifted)
- Micah (who is like the Lord)
- Gabriel (God is my strength)
- Gideon (hewer)
- Asher (fortunate)
Famous people with the name Stephen:
- Stephen King (American novelist)
- Stephen Dillane (English actor)
- Stephen Sondheim (American composer)
- Stephen Hawking (English physicist and author)
- Stephen Foster (American songwriter)
Stephens in popular culture:
- Stephen(literature, “A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man” by James Joyce)
- Stephen Stotch (television, “South Park”)
- Stephen Wilkins (film, “Trick ‘r Treat”)
- Stephen Cornfoot (literature, “The Original Forty” by J.K. Rowling)
- Stephen Holder (television, “The Killing”)