The baby name Steven was originally spelled Stephen. The more modern spelling, however, is much more popular in modern culture and ranks almost 100 places higher. Both are associated with the Greek name Stephanos, however, with the first individual with this name found in the New Testament.
Meaning of the name Steven:
Greek: garland, crown
Origin of the name Steven:
The baby name Steven comes is the Medieval English version of the name Stephen. This is a version of the Greek name Stephanos, which is where Saint Stephen got his name from. This individual was a Biblical character in the New Testament who was the first martyr for Christ, making him very important to the Protestant faith. The name was actually brought to the Protestants in England, however, after the Norman War.
Symbolism of the name Steven:
The Greek name Stephanos that the name Steven comes from was the first to mean “crown” or “wealth.” It is ironic that these names have that meaning as ten popes, a king in Hungary, kings in England, kings in Serbia, and kings in Poland have all had the name.
Style of the name Steven:
Gender of the name Steven:
Steven is a strong name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Steven:
Number of syllables in the name Steven:
Emotion evoked from the name Steven:
Steven is a name that feels strong, powerful, and all-consuming. It is a humble power, however, that feels like a caring spirit.
Alternative spellings for the name Steven:
Nicknames for the name Steven:
Popularity of the name Steven:
The baby name Steven has almost always been on the top 400 list for boys except for the years 1904 to 1905. From the years 1941 to 2007, the name was even a top 100 name. Within that time period, from 1955 to 1961, Steven was a top 10 name and and from 1945 to 1954, from 1962 to 1999 it was a top 50 name. As of 2020, Steven ranks at number 224 for boys.
Related names for the name Steven:
Great middle names for Steven and their meanings:
- Blair (plain, field)
- Lucas (bringer of light)
- Victor (conqueror)
- Dean (valley)
- Joseph (God will give)
- Avery (ruler of elves)
- Hunter (one who hunts)
Famous people with the name Steven:
- Steven Tyler (lead singer of Aerosmith band)
- Steven Drozd (instrumentalist in The Flaming Lips band)
- Steven Jobs (founder of Apple)
- Steven Spielberg (film director)
- Steven McQueen (film director)
- Steven Carrell (actor, “The Office”)
- Steven Curtis Chapman (Christian singer)
Stevens in popular culture:
- Steven (main character from “Point Blank”)
- Steven Hyde (character from “That 70's Show”)
- Steven Torkelson (character from “The Torkelsons”)
- Steven Filmore (character from “Torment”)
- Steven Crain (character from “The Haunting of Hill House”)
- Steven Stone (character from “Pokemon”)
- Steven Freeling (character from “Poltergeist”)