Christopher began as a Christian name, giving it a literal meaning of Christ-bearer. The name increased in popularity during the Middle Ages due to the introduction of Saint Christopher. The name became one of the most common for boys during the late 1980s.
Meaning of the name Christopher:
Origin of the name Christopher:
Christopher is formed from the Greek name Christophoros which means “bearing Christ.” This name comes from the Latin name “Christos” and the Latin word “phero” meaning “to bear.” In the early Christian church, the name Christopher was derived to notate new Christians who had Christ in their lives during the 15th century. Now, the name is more popular than ever.
Symbolism of the name Christopher:
The meaning of Christ-bearer for the baby name Christopher is very literal as it was originally intended for Christians who had accepted Christ. During the Middle Ages, however, the name became used for a legend name Saint Christopher who carrier Jesus in a metaphoric manner.
Style of the name Christopher:
Christopher began in the early Christian church, making it a classical baby name.
Gender of the name Christopher:
The gender of the baby name Christopher is male.
Pronunciation of the name Christopher:
Number of syllables in the name Christopher:
Christopher has three syllables.
Emotion evoked from the name Christopher:
Christopher is a refined name that feels serious. It feels formal, and someone who goes by Christopher likely has a mature nature about themselves.
Alternative spellings for the name Christopher:
Nicknames for the name Christopher:
Popularity of the name Christopher:
From 1967 to 2009, the name Christopher was on the top 10 list without verging off. It even remained at number two from 1979 to 1994. The name continues tobe on the top 50 list now, ranking at number 47 in the year 2020.
Related names for the name Christopher:
Great middle names for Christopher and their meanings:
- Edmond (prosperity, riches)
- Douglas (stream)
- John (graced by God)
- Nathan (He has given)
- Joel (Yahweh is God)
- Levi (joined in harmony)
- Daniel (God is my judge)
Famous people with the name Christopher:
- Christopher Columbus (explorer who discovered the Americas)
- Christopher Plummer (actor, “Beginners”)
- Christopher Nolan (director, “Inception”)
- Christopher Lee (actor
- Christopher Colfer (actor, “Glee”)
- Christopher Evans (actor, “Captain America: Winter Soldier”)
- Christopher Walken (actor, “Hairspray”)
- Christopher Pine (actor, “Star Trek”)
Christophers in popular culture:
- Christopher Robin (character in “Winnie the Pooh”)
- Christopher Ewing (character on “Dallas”)
- Christopher Turk (character on “Scrubs”)
- Christopher Walker (character from comic books, The Phantom)
- Christopher Foyle (main character on “Foyle's War”)
- Christopher Lasalle (character from NCIS)
- Christopher Castillo (character on “How to Get Away with Murder”)