When it comes to classic baby names, you can't do much better than Peter. Its origins date back to the Bible to the apostle of the same name who played a very important role in the history of Christianity. But for others, Peter is a literary name or a name from pop culture throughout the decades. Think Peter Rabbit, Peter Brady, Peter Griffin or Peter Venkman.
Meaning of the name Peter:
Greek: Rock, stone
Origin of the name Peter:
Peter is derived from the Greek word “pétros,” which means stone or rock.
Symbolism of the name Peter:
Peter is a biblical name. He was one of the Twelve Apostles of Christ. For this reason, the baby name may be important to parents of the Christian faith. Because Peter means “rock” or “stone,” it can also be a symbol of strength.
Style of the name Peter:
Gender of the name Peter:
Peter is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Peter:
Number of syllables in the name Peter:
Emotion evoked from the name Peter:
The baby name Peter evokes images of someone who is a strong leader and someone who always has good ideas.
Alternative spellings for the name Peter:
Nicknames for the name Peter:
Popularity of the name Peter:
Peter was a top 100 baby name for boys in the United States from 1900 until 1996. It's fallen out of favor a little bit. According to the Social Security Administration, it ranked at number 214 in 2020.
Related names for the name Peter:
Great middle names for Peter and their meanings:
- George (farmer)
- David (beloved)
- Michael (who is like God)
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Ryan (little king)
- Quentin (fifth)
- Roman (citizen of Rome)
- Knox (round hill)
- Rhett (advice)
Famous people with the name Peter:
- Peter Sellers (actor)
- Peter Noone (musician)
- Peter O'Toole (actor)
- Peter Jennings (news anchor)
- Peter Yarrow (musician)
- Peter Fonda (actor)
- Peter Falk (actor)
Peters in popular culture:
- PeterYoung Pioneer (character in the fairytale “Peter and the Wolf”)
- Peter Brady (character on the TV show “The Brady Bunch”)
- Peter Griffin (character on the TV show “Family Guy”)
- Peter McCallister (character fro the “Home Alone” series of movies)
- Peter Parker (the alter ego of Marvel Comics hero Spider-Man)
- Peter Rabbit (character from Beatrix Potter's books and stories)
- Peter Venkman (character in the “Ghostbusters” movies)