You probably think of Roman as a modern baby name, but the truth is it's been on the charts of the top 1,000 baby boy names in the United States since at least 1900. Thanks to the influence of some A-list celebrities, the name has gotten quite a boost in recent years, and it's currently more popular than ever. Some people associate it with books and intellect; other with the strength of a famous empire. Either way, Roman is a solid name for your son.
Meaning of the name Roman:
Latin: Person from Rome
Origin of the name Roman:
Roman is the name of a person from Rome. It's a derivative of the name “Romulus.” He was one of the founders and first King of Rome.
Symbolism of the name Roman:
Often associated with the Roman Empire, Roman may symbolize strength and power.
Style of the name Roman:
Gender of the name Roman:
Roman is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Roman:
Number of syllables in the name Roman:
Emotion evoked from the name Roman:
While the baby name Roman symbolizes strength and power, it also evokes the image of someone who is intellectual and intelligent.
Alternative spellings for the name Roman:
Nicknames for the name Roman:
Popularity of the name Roman:
Roman has been on the list of the top 1,000 baby names in the United States for well over a century, but it's more popular than ever. In 2020, it ranked at number 77 on the list for boys, according to the Social Security Administration.
Related names for the name Roman:
Great middle names for Roman and their meanings:
- Charles (free man)
- Jack (God is gracious)
- Thomas (twin)
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Hunter (one who hunts)
- Brooks (of the brook)
- Tate (cheerful)
- Grey (the color grey)
- Fox (the animal fox)
Famous people with the name Roman:
- Roman Polanski (film director)
- Roman Harper (football player)
- Roman Gabriel (football player)
- Roman Ford Coppola (film director)
- Roman Burki (soccer player)
Romans in popular culture:
- Roman Armitage (character in the movie “Get Out”)
- Roman Brady (character on the soap opera “Days of Our Lives”)
- Roman(character in the novel and on the TV show “Hemlock Grove”)
- Roman Pearce (character in “The Fast and the Furious” movies)
- Roman Sionis (DC Comics character)
- Roman Craig (character in the movie “The Great Outdoors”)