Grey is a popular baby name suitable for both boys and girls. Traditionally found among English noblemen, Grey has undergone a major cultural revival for the 21st century. Grey Ellison is the name of a character in the Curly Sue series, and Grey Michael Vincent was a main character in the Battle B-Daman series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Grey:
Middle English: Son of the steward, son of the bailiff
Old English, Old Norse: Achromatic, neutral
Gallo-Latin, Roman: Welcoming, pleasing
Origin of the name Grey:
Grey has several possible origins. Foremost, it is a short form of the surname Greyson. This name derives from the Middle English occupation greyve (meaning “steward”). Grey is also an alternative spelling of Gray. This color name derives from the Old English word grǣg (or grēg) and indicates that the tone is neutral or achromatic. Grey is also an English translation of the Gaelic nickname riabhach (meaning “brindled” or “gray”). Finally, Grey may derive from the name of a location in Old Normandy called Graye. This name derived from the Gallo-Latin cognomen Gratus (meaning “welcoming” or “pleasing”).
Symbolism of the name Grey:
Grey is a short form of Greyson (meaning “son of the steward”) or an alternative spelling of Gray (a color name that means “neutral”). In Old English culture, the symbol of the color grey was the billowy sky.
Style of the name Grey:
Gender of the name Grey:
Grey is a unisex baby name — it's given to both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Grey:
Number of syllables in the name Grey:
Emotion evoked from the name Grey:
The name Grey evokes feelings of greatness and geniality.
Alternative spellings for the name Grey:
Nicknames for the name Grey:
Popularity of the name Grey:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Grey was the 716th most popular baby name for boys in 2021. Grey was the 2,221st most popular baby name for girls in 2021.
Related names for the name Grey:
Great middle names for Grey and their meanings:
- Adelaide (noble, nobility)
- Bryony (flowering vine)
- Colbert (bright helmet)
- Ethan (solid, enduring, firm)
- Jason (healer)
- Kendall (valley of the River Kent)
- Madison (son of Matthew, son of Maud)
- Mason (stone worker, builder)
- Nolan (champion, famous, noble)
- Waverly (aspen meadow)
- Wyatt (brave warrior)
Famous people with the name Grey:
- Grey Brydges (nobleman and courtier)
- Grey Griffin DeLisle (voice actress)
- Grey Damon (actor)
- Grey(son of actress Davinia Taylor and sports agent Dave Gardner)
- Greg Mullavey (actor)
- Grey Madison Sanders (daughter of musician Derek Michael Sanders)
- GreyStuber (son of model Molly Sims and film producer Scott Stuber)
Grey in popular culture:
- Grey (nickname of Dr. Meredith Grey, the titular character of the Grey's Anatomy series)
- Grey Ellison (character in the Curly Sue series)
- Grey Michael Vincent (main character in the Battle B-Daman series)