Xerxes is a popular name in Greece and the Middle East. It has never been a top 1,000 name on the Social Security Popularity Index. The name originated, however, in Persia as the Greek version of the name of king Khshayarsha.
Meaning of the name Xerxes:
Persian: hero among heroes
Greek: ruler over heroes
Origin of the name Xerxes:
Xerxes is the Greek version of the name Khshayarsha from Persia. The first individual in recorded history with the name was a king in the fifth century B.C. of Persia. The baby name spread to Greece after the Battle of Salamis.
Symbolism of the name Xerxes:
The baby name Xerxes means “hero among heroes” or “ruler over heroes” because it comes from the Persian name Khshayarsha. This latter Middle Eastern name means the same.
Style of the name Xerxes:
Gender of the name Xerxes:
Xerxes is a powerful baby name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Xerxes:
Number of syllables in the name Xerxes:
Emotion evoked from the name Xerxes:
Xerxes is powerful and serious. It is a complex baby name that is very mature.
Alternative spellings for the name Xerxes:
Nicknames for the name Xerxes:
Popularity of the name Xerxes:
Xerxes was a very popular name for regal authority in Greece. Despite this, however, it has never reached the top 1,000 list in America.
Related names for the name Xerxes:
Great middle names for Xerxes and their meanings:
- Zander (defender of men)
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Neo (new, gift, sound, cherry blossom)
- Yorick (farmer, earth worker)
- Arian (noble, high-born)
- Kane (little warrior, golden, man)
- Alistair (defender of men)
- Lysander (liberator)
Famous people with the name Xerxes:
- Xerxes I (king of Persia)
- Xerxes II (king of Persia)
- Xerxes de Oliveira (music producer)
- Xerxes Avari (competitive sailor)
- Xerxes Desai (businessman)
Xerxes in popular culture:
- Xerxes Break (character from “Pandora Hearts”)
- Xerxes (character from “Aladdin”)
- Xerxes (character from “The Gashlycrumb Tinies”)
- Xerxes (character from “Family Guy”)