Holden is a strong and attractive name that is part of the surname trend. This option, however, is used for boys rather than either gender. It continues to climb the ranks too, ranking on the top 300 list after being a top 1,000 name just in the year 2000.
Meaning of the name Holden:
English: hollow valley
Origin of the name Holden:
Holden began as a surname in England during Medieval times. The surname came from the name being used for a certain place that meant “hollow valley.” Holden became a standalone first name in the mid-twentieth century after the book, “The Catcher in the Rye.”
Symbolism of the name Holden:
The baby name Holden, even as a first name, holds on to the place name meaning. That is why it seems slightly odd that the definition of the name is “hollow valley.”
Style of the name Holden:
As a surname, it is traditional, and as a first name, modern.
Gender of the name Holden:
Holden is a great name option for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Holden:
Number of syllables in the name Holden:
Emotion evoked from the name Holden:
Holden feels strong and natural. It is a well-intentioned name that has a bit of a serious feel.
Alternative spellings for the name Holden:
Nicknames for the name Holden:
Popularity of the name Holden:
Holden ranked at number 911 in 1987 and has been on the top 1,000 list since. The name continues to become more popular, and in 2014, it became a top 300 option. As of 2020, Holden is rank 228 for boys.
Related names for the name Holden:
Great middle names for Holden and their meanings:
- Allen (harmony, stone, noble)
- Forrest (woodsman, woods)
- Theodore (God's gift)
- Ellis (kind, benelovent)
- Maverick (nonconforming, independent)
- Joshua (may Jehovah help him)
- Atticus (belonging to Attica)
- Milo (soldier)
Famous people with the name Holden:
- Holden Bowler (singer
- Holden Furber (historian)
- Holden Roberto (activist in America)
- Holden Richardson (famous Navy pilot)
Holdens in popular culture:
- Holden Caulfield (character in “The Catcher in the Rye”)
- Holden (character in “Maximum Ride”)
- Holden McNeil (character from “Chasing Amy”)
- Holden Strauss (character from “Pretty Little Liars”)
- Holden Maxwell (character from “The Gamble”)
- Holden Messenger (character from “The Heir”)