Tomas is a beloved baby name for boys. As the Northern European version of Thomas, this name has a straightforwardness that makes it a favorite among both children and adults. Tomas is the name of the dragon elder on Spyro the Dragon, and Tomas Cantillo is a character on wildly popular Breaking Bad series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Tomas:
Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian: Twin
Origin of the name Tomas:
Tomas is the Swedish, Norwegian, and Lithuanian version of the name Thomas. This name originated from the Greek version of the Aramaic word tē’ōma (meaning “twin”). Tomas is culturally similar to Tomás (the Spanish, Portuguese, and Irish equivalent of Thomas) and Tomáš (the Czech and Slavic equivalent of the same name).
Symbolism of the name Tomas:
Tomas is the Nordic version of the name Thomas (meaning “twin”). According to the New Testament, Thomas the Apostle initially doubted that Jesus had risen from the dead. In response to the doubt, Jesus appeared and allowed Thomas to examine the crucifixion wounds for himself. According to tradition, Thomas became a martyr in India. His symbols include the spear and the steel square.
Style of the name Tomas:
Gender of the name Tomas:
Tomas is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Tomas:
Number of syllables in the name Tomas:
Emotion evoked from the name Tomas:
The name Tomas evokes feelings of fraternity and fidelity.
Alternative spellings for the name Tomas:
Nicknames for the name Tomas:
Popularity of the name Tomas:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Tomas was the 706th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Tomas:
Great middle names for Tomas and their meanings:
- Alvin (elf friend)
- Boone (good, blessed, lucky)
- Dashiell (young chief, heaven, sky)
- Emilio (rival, excel, strive)
- Ignacio (born of fire)
- Ilan (tree)
- Matias (gift of God)
- Noble (aristocratic)
- Quaid (ruler of the army)
- Slade (valley)
- Weston (west town)
- Zavier (bright, splendid, new house)
Famous people with the name Tomas:
- Tomas Emil Rune Antonelius (footballer)
- Tomas Clifford Arana (actor)
- Tomas Ugo Behrend (tennis player)
- Tomas Davulis (legal scholar)
- Tomas Gustafson (speed skater)
- Tomas Folke Jonas Ledin (singer)
- Tomas “Tompa” Lindberg (musician)
- Tomas Milian (actor)
- Tomas Seamus O'Fiaich (Catholic cardinal)
- Tomas ‘Tom” Walsh (shot putter)
Tomas in popular culture:
- Tomas (dragon elder on Spyro the Dragon)
- Tomas Cantillo (character on Breaking Bad)
- Tomas Ortega (priest on The Exorcist)