Miley is a modern name known for its star power. With its trendy composition and widespread recognition, Miley matches the appeal of other modern names like Riley and Kylie. And without question, the name's role in popular culture speaks for itself. Miley Ray Stewart is the protagonist of Disney's Hannah Montana, and Miley Windass is an important character on the British soap opera Coronation Street. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Miley:
Origin of the name Miley:
Miley is a modern invented name. Much of its recent popularity comes from the influence of singer Miley Ray Cyrus. Born Destiny Hope Cyrus, this singer received the nickname “Smiley Miley” due to her happiness as a baby. She eventually shortened the nickname to Miley and then legally registered it as her given name.
Alternatively, Miley is also a diminutive of the names Miles and Milo. These names derive from the Latin word miles (meaning “soldier”). In Slavic languages, the name originates from the Slavic element milu (meaning “gracious”).
Symbolism of the name Miley:
Miley originated as the short form of Smiley. In Modern English, a smiley is a digital icon, a grouping of keypad symbols, or a handwritten drawing that represents a smiling facial expression. The universal symbol for the smiley is a yellow circle with an upturned curve (the “smile”) and two dots for eyes.
Style of the name Miley:
Gender of the name Miley:
Miley is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Miley:
Number of syllables in the name Miley:
Emotion evoked from the name Miley:
The name Miley evokes feelings of energy and enthusiasm.
Alternative spellings for the name Miley:
Nicknames for the name Miley:
Popularity of the name Miley:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Miley was the 740th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Miley:
Great middle names for Miley and their meanings:
- Aveline (beautiful bird, hazelnut, desired)
- Carys (love)
- Flora (flower)
- Heather (evergreen plant, flowering shrub)
- Helena (bright, shining light, torch)
- Iona (island)
- Josephine (God will increase)
- Justine (just, fair, righteous)
- Savannah (grassy field)
- Serena (calm, tranquil, serene)
Famous people with the name Miley:
- Miley Ray Cyrus (singer)
- Miley Ilayda Henle (YouTuber)
- Miley Mumford (actress)
- Miley Romero (cosplay artist)
- Miley Justine Simmons (daughter of Reverend Run Simmons)
- MileyPearson (daughter of singer Samantha Florence Bailey and Craig Pearson)
Miley in popular culture:
- Miley Ray Stewart (protagonist of Disney's Hannah Montana)
- Miley Windass (character on the British soap opera Coronation Street)