Serena is a beautiful baby name that has a calming presence. The name dates back to ancient Roman times, and it has been popular among some of the top celebrities in the world. Popular holders of the name Serena include Serena Williams who is a professional tennis player and Serena van der Woodsen being a character on “Gossip Girl.”
Meaning and Origin of the name Serena:
Serena is a girl's name of Latin origin meaning “serene,” “calm,” and “tranquil.”
The baby name Serena comes from the Latin word serēnus (meaning “clear,” “serene,” and “tranquil”). A saint in ancient Roman times was the first in recorded history actually have the name. She was Saint Serena of Rome and wife of Emperor Diocletian.
Symbolism of the name Serena:
The word serēnus, which the name Serena comes from, holds the same meaning. Serēnus actually means “clear,” “serene,” and “tranquil.”
Nicknames for the name Serena:
Serena has a wide variety of options for nicknames. We gathered these nicknames in the list below to help you find the perfect one. You are sure to find a nickname you like from this extensive list.
Style of the name Serena:
Gender of the name Serena:
Serena is a name for baby girls.
Pronunciation of the name Serena:
Number of syllables in the name Serena:
Emotion evoked from the name Serena:
Serena feels like a name with a calming presence. This gives it regality and healthy pride.
Alternative spellings for the name Serena:
Popularity of the name Serena:
The baby name Serena was popular from 1900 to around 1918. It did not rise in popularity again on the Social Security Index until the 1940s. From 1997 to 2003, Serena was a top 300 name, which may be due to the fact that Serena Williams became popular at this time. As of 2020 though, Serena ranks at number 421 for girls.
Related names for the name Serena:
Great middle names for Serena and their meanings:
- Paige (helper)
- Morgan (circling sea, bright sea dweller)
- Charlotte (free man)
- Camille (helper to the priest)
- Antoinette (highly praiseworthy)
- Megan (pearl)
- Eleanor (bright, shining one)
- Odette (wealth)
Famous people with the name Serena:
- Serena Williams (professional tennis player)
- Serena Altschul (professional journalist)
- Serena Ortolani (professional volleyball player)
- Serena Deeb (professional wrestler)
- Serena Ryder (singer and songwriter, “Got Your Number”)
Serenas in popular culture:
- Serena van der Woodsen (character from “Gossip Girl”)
- Serena Pemberton (character from “Serena”)
- Serena Butler (character from “Legends of Dune”)
- Serena Tsukino (Sailor Moon from “Sailor Moon”)
- Serena Bishop (character from “Neighbours”)
- Serena (character from “Pokemon”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©GaudiLab/Shutterstock.com.