Arnold is a baby boy’s name of Germanic origin that means “ruler, strong as an eagle”. Arnold is old-fashioned, having been most popular in the first half of the 20th century.
Meaning of the name Arnold:
German: ruler, strong as an eagle
Origin of the name Arnold:
Arnold is a baby boy’s name of German origin that means “ruler, strong as an eagle”. Arnold comes from the terms “arn” meaning “eagle” and “wald” meaning “power”. Arnold is a variant of the medieval name Earnweald.
Symbolism of the name Arnold:
The eagle was the symbol of the Roman legionnaires and was eventually adopted as an important symbol in the Holy Roman Empire that included much of modern-day Germany. The eagle was a symbol of strength.
Style of the name Arnold:
Gender of the name Arnold:
Arnold is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Arnold:
AHR-nəld (English), AR-nawlt (German, Polish), AHR-nawlt (Dutch)
Number of syllables in the name Arnold:
Emotion evoked from the name Arnold:
Arnold evokes feelings of charm and talent.
Alternative spellings for the name Arnold:
Arneld, Arhnold, Arnyld, Ehrnold
Nicknames for the name Arnold:
Popularity of the name Arnold:
According to the Social Security Administration, Arnold is a popular baby boy’s name. Arnold was in the top 1000 names from 1900 to 2004. Arnold was in the top 100 names between 1912 and 1931.
Related names for the name Arnold:
Great middle names for the name Arnold and their meanings:
- Delaney (dark challenger)
- Bryn (hill)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Spencer (house steward)
- Finn (white, fair)
- Prescott (priest’s cottage)
- Samuel (told by God)
- Coltrane (descendant of Coltarán)
Famous people with the name Arnold:
- Arnold Palmer (American golfer)
- Arnold Sommerfeld (German theoretical physicist)
- Arnold Houbraken (Dutch painter)
- Arnold Bax (English composer and poet)
- Arnold Toynbee (English historian)
Arnold in popular culture:
- Arnold Phillip Shortman (television, “Hey Arnold!”)
- Arnold Horshack (television, “Welcome Back, Kotter”)
- Arnold Perlstein (television, “The Magic School Bus”)
- Dr. Arnold Wayne (television, “Mad Men”)
- Arnold Weber (television, “Westworld”)