Whether giving nod to famous astronomers or celestial bodies, each of these boy names that mean space is filled with intrigue. From Atlas to Apollo and beyond, each is both handsome and impactful. Take a look!
RELATED: More Baby Names That Mean Space
- Astrophel – Astrophel was invented by a poet in the 16th century. It combines the Greek words astro (“stars”) and philos (“friend or lover”) to create “star lover.”
- Rasalas Rasalas is a fun name to say, but its meaning is mighty. It translates to “the northern star of the lion's head” in Arabic, referring to a famous constellation that can be seen in the Middle East.
- Aldrin Aldrin means “wise one” or “wise ruler” and has roots in Old English. However, it's most famous as the name of Buzz Aldrin, the second man on the moon.
- Itri Another rare name, Itri is found in the Tamazight language of the northern tribes of Africa. It means “star.”
- Anatole Meaning “from the east” or “rising sun,” Anatole could be a unique name that celebrates the sky in the morning. It has Greek origins.
- Whetu Whetu means “star” in Maori, one of the indigenous language of Australia and New Zealand. It's used for boys and girls alike.
- AtlasThe bearer of the world in Greek mythology, this could be a mighty name for a baby boy that invokes stars and folklore all at once.
- Naos Naos is a brilliantly shining star in the Puppis constellation. It's known for being 10,000 times brighter than the sun!
- TarahMeaning “star,” Tarah is well known among many South Asian communities, including Indian, Hindi, and Nepali.
- SamsonSamson is a mighty name that derives from the Hebrew word for “sun.” It also has endless derivative potential with names like Samuel, Samantha, Samir, and good old-fashioned Sam.
- Stjerne This one's a tongue twister, but it can be a fabulously unique baby name for those with Scandinavian heritage. It means “star” in old Norwegian.
- ApolloYou might know Apollo as the Greek god of archery and the twin brother of Artemis. But did you know that it was also the name of the space program that put man on the moon?
- Kepler Pronounced KEHP-lur, this is the name of Johannes Kepler, one of the most famous astronomers of all time. Everyone who hears this name will know that you love the night sky.
- Rigel Pronounced RYE-guhl or RYE-juhl, this is the name of a massively bright “supergiant” star in the Orion constellation. It can serve as a unique baby name as well.
- Aster Aster is a type of flower, but you can also say that it derives from asterism, an astrological term that means a pattern or group of stars.
- Cielo Cielo means “sky” in Italian, and though it's not uncommon as a name across the pond, it's still somewhat rare outside of Europe. It could be a fun and fresh name for a little boy living elsewhere.
- Nuray Pronounced noor-EYE, Nuray means “bright moon” in Turkish. It's quite popular among the cultures of the Middle East, though it's less known to Westerners.
- Astro This one might be a little obvious for space lovers, but it could be a cute middle name for boys.
- Tarak The origins of Tarak have been lost to time, but most linguists agree that it comes from some version of Sanskrit. It means either “star” or “protector.” Maybe it means both!
- ElioPopular in both Italy and Spain, Elio means “sun” and has been gaining traction as a baby name for boys in recent years.
- Badar Pronounced BAH-der, this unique baby name means “full moon.” It has Arabic origins.
- Glenn John Glenn was the first American to orbit the Earth back in 1962. How do you feel about naming your little boy after a legend?
- LeoThough it literally means “lion,” Leo is also the name of a famous, astrologically significant constellation in the night sky.
- Oberon Oberon is a moon in the orbit of Uranus. It's also the name of several famous fictional characters stretching from Shakespeare to George R. R. Martin.
- Ceres Ceres is a dwarf planet or “baby planet” located in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. It can be a cute little name for a cute little baby.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©asif ali / postermywall.