From burning brightly to laughing star, there are plenty of boy names that mean star — or a variation thereof. Here are 25 boy names of a variety of origins that will conjure images of light and love. Take a look!
RELATED: Baby Names That Mean Star
- OrionOrion doesn’t mean star itself. However, it’s one of the most popular constellations of stars. It has Greek origin and holds a heavy history in mythology.
- Sirius Sirius is of Greek origin. The name means “burning brightly, glowing”. It’s the name of the brightest star in the sky.
- Rasalas Rasalas is of Arabic origin. The name literally translates to “the Northern star of the lion’s head”. The meaning comes from the Leo constellation.
- Hercules From Greek origin, Hercules doesn’t mean star exactly like other names on our list but it’s one of the most popular constellations in the Northern sky.
- Hesperos Hesperos is of Greek origin. The name refers to the planet Venus in Greek mythology. It means “evening star, evening”.
- Jiemba Jiemba is a common name among Australian Aboriginals. The name in the Wiradjuri means “laughing star”.
- Najm From Arabic origins, Najm means “morning star”. It’s a popular name in Central and South Asia, and the Middle East.
- SterlingSterling is of English origin. It was originally a surname and is associated with a type of silver. However, Sterling means “little star, starling”.
- Lintang Lintang is of Indonesian origin. The name may also have the spelling Bintang. It means “star”.
- Rigel From the Constellation Orion, Rigel derives from Arabic. It means “the left leg of the giant”. It’s one of the brightest stars in the sky.
- Shihab Shihab is of Arabic origin. It means “shooting star, meteor”. The name also is mentioned in the Quran.
- Ylli Ylli is of Albanian origin. The name isn’t well-known or popular outside Albanian. It means “star”.
- Kilo Kilo is of Hawaiian origin. Kilo means “one who observes the stars, daydreamer”.
- Indus Indus is of Indian origin. The name means “star” and is popular in the Hindu religion. Indus is also the name of the river that flows through Pakistan, Tibet, and India.
- Draco Draco is of Greek origin. It comes from the Greek Drakon, which means “serpent” or “dragon”. It’s the name of the constellation of stars that resembles a dragon. Draco is also the name of the rival in the Harry Potter series.
- Altair Altair is of Arabic origin. The name doesn’t mean star (flyer, flying eagle) but it does represent the name of the 11th brightest star in the sky.
- Aranck Aranck comes from the Algonquin tribe. The name is of Native American origin. it means “stars”.
- Astin From French origin, Astin means “star-like, bright as a star”. The name also has other meanings based on its origin.
- Astro Astro is a name that’s slowly rising in popularity as a baby name. It has Greek origins. It means “of the stars”.
- Taariq Taariq is of Arabic origin. Taariq means “nightcomer, morning star, visitor”.
- Astrophel Astrophel is of Greek origin. It combines two Greek words “Astro” and “phil” to make the meaning. It means “star lover”. It was created by a 16th-century poet.
- Vesper Vesper came from the Latin term for the planet Venus. It’s of Latin origin. Vesper means “evening star”.
- Tarak Tarak is of Indian origin. The name has two different meanings. It means “protector, star”.
- Itri Itri is an indigenous name of those in North Africa or Berbers. In the Tamazight language, Itri means “star”.
- Rastaban Rastaban has Arabic roots. The name translates to “the head of the serpent”. Rastaban is one of the brightest stars in the Draco constellation.
Having a daughter? Here are 25 girl names that mean star.