Donald may be one of the most popular boys' names of all time. It's been in the top 1,000 in the United States for well over a century and possibly longer since the Social Security Administration only began keeping track in 1900. While it's not as popular as it once was — it was a top 10 name during the early 20th century — we have several popular actors, a president, and a Disney duck to thank for its staying power.
Meaning of the name Donald:
Scottish: World ruler
Origin of the name Donald:
Donald is an anglicized version of the Scottish clan name Domhnall. The name is made up of the Celtic elements “dumno,” which means “world,” and “val,” which means “rule.”
Symbolism of the name Donald:
New parents may find symbolism in Donald's meaning of “world ruler.” They may hope their little one grows up to be a leader. New parents may also find inspiration from a variety of people and characters from pop culture, ranging from the former president, Donald Trump, to Donald Duck of Disney fame.
Style of the name Donald:
Gender of the name Donald:
Donald is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Donald:
Number of syllables in the name Donald:
Emotion evoked from the name Donald:
The baby name Donald evokes images of someone who is a great communicator and someone who is reliable and trustworthy.
Alternative spellings for the name Donald:
Nicknames for the name Donald:
Popularity of the name Donald:
According to the Social Security Administration, Donald has been a top 1,000 baby name for boys in the United States since at least 1900. It even made it to the top 10 during the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s, and it was in the top 100 up until around 1990. It last ranked at number 592 in 2021.
Related names for the name Donald:
Great middle names for Donald and their meanings:
- Levi (joined)
- Paul (small, humble)
- Parker (park keeper)
- Milo (soldier)
- Felix (happy)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Jacob (supplanter)
- Jude (praised)
- Atlas (bearer of the heavens)
Famous people with the name Donald:
- Donald Trump (businessman and former United States President)
- Donald Glover (actor, writer, producer, and musician)
- Donald Sutherland (actor)
- Donald Hawkins (football player)
- Donald Parham (football player)
Donald in popular culture:
- Donald Duck (Disney character)
- Donald “Don” Draper (character from the TV show “Mad Men”)
- Donald Blake (character from the Marvel Comics universe)
- Donald “Ducky” Mallard (character from the TV show “NCIS”)
- DonaldTwin Engine (character from the TV show “Thomas and Friends”)