Damian is a delightful name for boys destined for greatness. Hailing from the ancient past, Damian retains the agency of its action-verb roots while remaining perfectly relevant in the present. Damian Wayne is an important character in the Batman franchise, and Damian Leigh was an unforgettable character in the film Mean Girls. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Damian:
Greek: Conquer, tame, subdue
Origin of the name Damian:
Damian is an English translation of the Greek name Damianos. This name derives from the Old Greek verb damazō (meaning “conquer,” “tame,” “master,” “overcome,” or “subdue”). The first-person conjugation of the verb is damāi, and this conjugation eventually produced the name Damian.
In addition to the primary etymology, some scholars link the name Damian to the deity named Damia. More commonly known as Demeter, this deity is the goddess of agriculture. Damian is the masculine variant of this name.
Symbolism of the name Damian:
Damian dervies from the Greek verb damazō, and this verb means “tame” or “subdue.” The name became widespread during the Middle Ages due to the popularity of Saint Damian. Martyred during the 4th century, Damian and his identical twin brother became the patron saints of physicians. Symbols of Saint Damian include the medicine box, surgical tools, and other medical emblems. According to some interpretations, Damian is also the masculine spelling of the name Damia (a variation of the goddess Demeter). Symbols for this goddess include the cornucopia, torch, and bushels of wheat.
Style of the name Damian:
Gender of the name Damian:
Damian is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Damian:
Number of syllables in the name Damian:
Emotion evoked from the name Damian:
The name Damian evokes feelings of magnificence and mastery.
Alternative spellings for the name Damian:
Nicknames for the name Damian:
Popularity of the name Damian:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Damian was the 110th most popular baby name for boys in 2020. Damian has ranked among the top 200 names for boys since 2014.
Related names for the name Damian:
Great middle names for Damian and their meanings:
- Angelo (messenger of God)
- Axel (father of peace)
- Conrad (bold counsel, brave ruler)
- Elias (the Lord is my God)
- Kenneth (handsome, born of fire)
- Leo (lion)
- Lucas (bringer of light)
- Maverick (independent, non-conformist)
- Rolando (famous land, renowned land)
- Vernon (alder tree grove)
Famous people with the name Damian:
- Damian Emilio Akerman (soccer player)
- Damian Gerard Baker (musician)
- Damian Howard Green (politician)
- Damian Charles Hurley (son of actress Elizabeth Hurley)
- Damian Lamonte Ollie Lillard (basketball player)
- Damian Robert Nesta Marley (son of singer Bob Marley)
- Damian Patrick Martin (basketball player)
- Damian Joseph McGinty (singer)
- Damian Watcyn Lewis (actor)
- Damian Rashad Swann (football player)
Damian in popular culture:
- Damian Hayes (character in Degrassi: The Next Generation)
- Damian Leigh (supporting character in the film Mean Girls)
- Damian Spinelli (character on the soap opera General Hospital)
- Damian Wayne (DC comics character)