The baby name Damien comes from the Greek name Damian or Damianos. Though this name began in France, it did not become popular in America until the late 1960s. Now, however, it ranks at number 277 overall.
Meaning of the name Damien:
Greek: to tame, to subdue
French: to tame, to subdue
Origin of the name Damien:
Damien is the French spelling of the Greek baby name Damian. Damian, however, comes from the Greek name Damianos which comes from the Greek word “damazo.” This is where the meaning of “to tame” or “to subdue” comes from.
Symbolism of the name Damien:
The spread of the baby name Damien came as the French wanted a more formal sounding name for the classically Greek Damian. Damian, however, was popularized among the Christian church through Saint Damian who was a martyr in the country of Syria in the fourth century.
Style of the name Damien:
Gender of the name Damien:
The baby name Damien is one that is used for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Damien:
dah-MEE-un or DAY-mee-en
Number of syllables in the name Damien:
Emotion evoked from the name Damien:
Damien feels strong and royal. It is more formal that the classical spelling of Damian.
Alternative spellings for the name Damien:
Nicknames for the name Damien:
Popularity of the name Damien:
The baby name Damien found its way to the Social Security Index in 1968, ranking at number 805 overall. It has only been on the top 200 list for a short time from the years 2004 to 2011, with its lowest ranking at 182 in 2007. Now, the name is on the top 300 list and ranks at number 277.
Related names for the name Damien:
Great middle names for Damien and their meanings:
- Eli (high, elevated)
- Kenneth (handsome, comely)
- Giovanni (Yahweh is gracious)
- Maxwell (Mack's spring, stream)
- Jacob (supplanter)
- Quaid (son of Uad)
- Alexander (defender of men)
Famous people with the name Damien:
- Damien Rice (Irish singer)
- Damien Leith (Irish and Australian singer)
- Damien Fahey (actor, “Family Guy”)
- Damien Haas (actor, “Smosh Games”)
- Damien Duff (Irish soccer player)
- Damien Chazelle (film writer, “La La Land”)
- Damien Le Tallec (French soccer player)
Damiens in popular culture:
- Damien (title character on “Damien” TV show)
- Damien Scott (main character in “Strike Back”)
- Damien Delgaard (character in “Gossip Girl”)
- Damien Thorn (main character in “The Omen”)
- Damien Brenks (character in “Watch Dogs” video game)
- Damien Bloodmarch (character in “Dream Daddy” video game)