Malik is a magnificent baby name for boys. Simple in composition but majestic in tone, this name has created a commanding presence in popular culture. Malik Al is an important character in the video game Assassin's Creed, Malik Ishtar is a lead character from Japanese anime series Yu-Gi-Oh, and Malik Wright is an ensemble character on television's The Game. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Malik:
Malik originates from the Arabic word mālik (meaning “king”). The word derived from the Proto-Semitic root mlk (which meant “king,” “owner,” or “lord”). Alternatively, Malik is also a Greenlandic word that means “wave”.
Symbolism of the Name Malik:
Malik derives from the Proto-Semitic root word for “king”. Cognates of this name occur in languages throughout the Middle East, including Hebrew, Aramaic, and Syriac. Furthermore, Malik is both a given name and a title in Middle Eastern culture. For example, al-Malik (meaning “the king”) is one of the 99 names of Allah in Islam. Malik is also the name of an angel in the Quran. In this text, the symbols of Malik are the gates of eternity.
Nicknames for the Name Malik:
Malik is a fantastic choice for a child! Every name needs a nickname, and Malik is certainly no exception to that. Check out our picks for the top Malik nicknames:
Style of the Name Malik:
Gender of the Name Malik:
Malik is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Malik:
Number of Syllables in the Name Malik:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Malik:
The name Malik evokes feelings of royalty and respect.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Malik:
Popularity of the Name Malik:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Malik was the 395th most popular name for boys in 2022.
Related Names for the Name Malik:
Great Middle Names for Malik and Their Meanings:
- Abraham (father of multitudes)
- Duncan (chief)
- Hakim (wise, intelligent)
- Hassan (handsome)
- Jamal (beautiful)
- Joaquin (uplifted by God)
- Khalil (friend)
- Levi (united in harmony)
- Omar (prosperous)
- Samuel (God has heard)
Famous People with the Name Malik:
- Malik Amin Aslam (environmentalist)
- Malik Edwards (singer)
- Malik Samory Hairston (basketball player)
- Malik Terrell Jefferson (football player)
- Malik Roy Obama (half-brother of Barack Obama)
- Malik Jabari Rose (basketball player)
- Malik Izaak Taylor (singer)
- Malik Yoba (actor)
Malik in Popular Culture:
- Malik Al (character in the video game Assassin's Creed)
- Malik Ishtar (character from Japanese anime series Yu-Gi-Oh)
- Malik Williams (character in the movie Higher Learning)
- Malik Wright (character on the television series The Game)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/LindaYolanda.