Brianna is considered a more contemporary baby name in the United States and other English-speaking countries, but it actually has deep Irish roots that date back to the Middle Ages. New parents love the name's powerful meaning as well as the fact that it pairs well with almost any middle name. It can also be spelled multiple ways without appearing too unusual.
Meaning of the name Brianna:
Irish: Strong, noble, honorable
Origin of the name Brianna:
Brianna is the feminine version of the name “Brian.” Brian is an Irish name that dates back to the Middle Ages and is most likely derived from the word “brígh,” which means “noble” in the Celtic language.
Symbolism of the name Brianna:
The masculine form of Brianna — Brian — caught on as a baby name during the Middle Ages, thanks to Brian Boru, a respected Irish King. For this reason, the name is now associated with nobility and strength.
Style of the name Brianna:
Gender of the name Brianna:
Brianna is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Brianna:
Number of syllables in the name Brianna:
Emotion evoked from the name Brianna:
For many American parents, Brianna evokes the image of a daughter who is strong and a go-getter.
Alternative spellings for the name Brianna:
Nicknames for the name Brianna:
Popularity of the name Brianna:
Brianna first ranked on the list of top 1,000 baby names for girls in the United States in 1976. By 1988, it was within the top 100, reaching as high as number 14 in 1999. According to the Social Security Administration, it was the 146th-most popular name for girls in the United States in 2020.
Related names for the name Brianna:
Great middle names for Brianna and their meanings:
- Noelle (Christmas)
- Jade (precious green stone)
- Grace (God's grace)
- Katherine (pure)
- Paige (young helper)
- Rose (flower)
- Christine (follower of Christ)
- Kate (pure)
Famous people with the name Brianna:
- Brianna Brown (actress)
- Brianna Daneilson aka “Brie Bella” (professional wrestler)
- Brianna Keilar (CNN host, political commentator)
- Brianna Taylor (singer and reality star)
- Brianna Glenn (world champion long jumper and model)
Briannas in popular culture:
- Brianna (character in the book series and film “Inkheart”)
- BriannaHandmaiden (character in the video game “Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords”)
- Brianna Buttowski (character on the Disney show “Kick Buttowski”)
- Brianna Jackson (character in the book “On the Come Up”)
- Brianna Hanson (character on the TV show “Grace and Frankie”)