Calla is a lovely baby name for girls. Delicate and distinguished, this name offers a refreshing alternative to related floral names like Violet or Rose. Calla Matthews was the name of a main character in the Guiding Light series, and Calla Lily Ponder is the titular protagonist of The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Calla:
Greek: Beautiful, flower, lily
Swedish: Free man, strong, virile, petite
Irish: Slim, slender, fair
Origin of the name Calla:
Calla has multiple possible origins. Foremost, Calla derives from the Greek word κάλλος (meaning “beauty”). Calla is also a floral name based on the genus of lilies with the same word origin. In Swedish, Calla is an alternative spelling of Kalla. The Scandinavian Kalla derives from the Germanic name Karl (meaning “free man,” “strong,” “virile,” or “petite”). Finally, Calla is a diminutive of the Irish name Caoilainn. This name combined the Old Irish elements caol (meaning “slender”) and fionn (meaning “fair”).
Symbolism of the name Calla:
Calla originates from the Greek word κάλλος (meaning “beauty”). For many parents, it is also a floral name in honor of the lily. In Greek mythology, the lily arose from the nectar of Hera, and this flower symbolized purity.
Style of the name Calla:
Gender of the name Calla:
Calla is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Calla:
Number of syllables in the name Calla:
Emotion evoked from the name Calla:
The name Calla evokes feelings of calm and creativity.
Alternative spellings for the name Calla:
Nicknames for the name Calla:
Popularity of the name Calla:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Calla was the 1,559th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Calla:
Great middle names for Calla and their meanings:
- Adelyn (noble, nobility)
- Blaire (meadow, field, clearing)
- Daisy (day's eye)
- Emerald (green gemstone)
- Godiva (gift of God)
- Gwyneth (fair, blessed)
- Maria (star of the sea)
- Maeve (she who intoxicates)
- Rochelle (little rock)
- Rylee (rye meadow, wood clearing, valiant)
- Shay (stately, admirable, gift)
- Wilhelmina (resolute protector, strong-willed warrior)
Famous people with the name Calla:
- Calla Abrunzo (lawyer)
- Calla Curman (writer)
- Calla Henkel (playwright)
- Calla Iseli (beat boxer)
- Calla Klessig (artist)
- Calla Louise Mapel (daughter of actress Mare Winningham and William Mapel)
- Calla McLaughlin (newscaster)
- Calla Vita Urbanski (figure skater)
- Calla Wright (playwright)
- Calla Zentil (production designer)
Calla in popular culture:
- Calla Matthews (character in the Guiding Light series)
- Calla Lily Ponder (titular protagonist of The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells)