Cara is a simple and sweet baby girl name. International in its appeal, the name Cara is highly recognizable in popular culture. Cara Dune is a character on Star Wars, and Cara Mason is an important character in the Sword of Truth series. Keep reading to learn more about this classic name.
Meaning of the name Cara:
Latin: Beloved, darling, dear
Origin of the name Cara:
Cara has several distinct etymologies that give this name its favorable history. The most common origin is the Latin word cārus (meaning “beloved,” “darling” or “dear”). In most Romance languages, Cara can also mean “face” (borrowed from the Old Latin word for “head”).
Cara is also an Irish feminine name that means “friend.” In the Cornish language, Cara means “love,” and it is a cognate of the beautiful Welsh name Carys. For Turkish speakers, Cara means “dark.” Some scholars have linked the Turkish version to the Gaelic name Ciara (which shares the same meaning). Finally, the Greek translation of Cara is “pure,” and it is related to the longer names Catherine, Catrina, and Catarina.
Symbolism of the name Cara:
Cara derives from the Latin word cārus (meaning “beloved”). The symbol for beloved is the heart. In the Irish language, Cara means “friend.” An important concept in Irish spirituality is the anam cara (“soul friend”). Aman cara refers to a person's true lifelong companion, and the expression is a favorite endearment of Saint Bridget of Kildare (a patron saint of Ireland).
Style of the name Cara:
Gender of the name Cara:
Cara is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Cara:
Number of syllables in the name Cara:
Emotion evoked from the name Cara:
The name Cara evokes feelings of camaraderie and caring.
Alternative spellings for the name Cara:
Nicknames for the name Cara:
Popularity of the name Cara:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Cara was the 908th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Cara:
Great middle names for Cara and their meanings:
- Astrid (divinely beautiful)
- Beatrice (blessed)
- Dakota (friend, ally)
- Denise (follower of Dionysius)
- Jeanette (God is gracious
- Logan (little hollow)
- Mia (beloved, mine)
- Philomena (powerful love)
- Robyn (bright fame, songbird)
- Yasmine (jasmine flower)
Famous people with the name Cara:
- Cara Judea Alhadeff (artist)
- Cara Blue Adams (writer)
- Cara Jocelyn Delevingne (model)
- Cara Elizabeth Dillon (singer)
- Cara Nicole Gosselin (daughter of television personality Kate Gosselin)
- Cara Laura Hilton (politician)
- Cara Ethel Kennedy (granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy)
- Cara Lockwood (novelist)
- Cara Hain Wakelin (model)
- Cara Mia Dianne Wayans (daughter of comedian Damon Wayans)
Cara in popular culture:
- Cara Coburn (character on television's The Tomorrow People)
- Cara Dune (character in Star Wars)
- Cara Mason (character in the Sword of Truth series)