Kara is a captivating baby girl name. Sublime in its depth and simplicity, the universality of the name has delighted cultures across the globe. Kara Leary is a central character in the Sims 3 video game, Kara Thrace is the main character on television's Battlestar Galactica, and Kara Zor-El is a DC Comics superheroine. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Kara:
Latin: Beloved, darling, dear
Old Norse: Stormy, curly
Origin of the name Kara:
Kara has several unique etymologies. The first origin is a variation of the Latin word cārus (meaning “beloved,” “darling” or “dear”). This origin has produced pet names like Karina, a popular diminutive in countries like Russia. In Romance languages, the word can also mean “face” (in reference to the Old Latin word for “head”).
For Irish speakers, Kara is a spelling variation of the word for “friend.” In the Turkish language, Kåra means “dark.” Some scholars have linked the Turkish name to the Gaelic name Kiara (or Ciara) since both names have the same meaning. In Old Norse, Kára was a Valkyrie whose name meant “stormy” (derived from the word afkárr) or “curly” (derived from the Old Norse kárr). Finally, the Greek translation of Kara is “pure.” It is related to longer names like Katherine and Katrina.
Symbolism of the name Kara:
Kara has several etymologies that give the name its lively history. One of the most symbolic uses of the name Kara was the Turkish Kåra (meaning “dark”). During the Ottoman Empire, royal officials often adopted Kåra as a title or byname to mean “courageous” or “undefeated” in battle and administrative rule. In Norse mythology, Kára was often a feminine symbol of reincarnation.
Style of the name Kara:
Gender of the name Kara:
Kara is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Kara:
Number of syllables in the name Kara:
Emotion evoked from the name Kara:
The name Kara evokes feelings of compassion and calm.
Alternative spellings for the name Kara:
Nicknames for the name Kara:
Popularity of the name Kara:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Kara was the 671st most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Kara:
Great middle names for Kara and their meanings:
- Amelia (work, industrious, striving)
- Brandi (brandy)
- Eugenia (well-born, noble)
- Irene (peace)
- Jeannette (God is gracious)
- Joelle (the Lord is God)
- Lynn (lake)
- Mirabel (wondrous)
- Ruth (friend)
- Valerie (strong, brave, valiant)
Famous people with the name Kara:
- Kara Kennedy Allen (television producer)
- Kara Elizabeth DioGuardi (music executive)
- Kara Janét Edwards (voice actress)
- Kara Lynn Massey (singer)
- Kara Lord (pageant winner)
- Kara Anne Swisher (journalist)
- Kara Louise Tointon (actress)
- Kara Elizabeth Walker (artist)
- Kara Young (model)
Kara in popular culture:
- Kara Bannister (character in the movie The Dog Who Saved Christmas)
- Kara Leary (character in the Sims 3 video game)
- Kara “KT” Tatiana (character on television's House of Anubis)
- Kara Thrace (main character on television's Battlestar Galactica)
- Kara Zor-El (DC Comics superheroine)