Lynn is a baby girl’s name that was popular between 1946 and 1968. While Lynn has declined in popularity and is no longer in the top 1000 baby names in the US it remains a popular choice for middle names or as a part of longer modern names like Gracelynn and Adelynn.
Meaning of the name Lynn:
Welsh: waterfall, lake
Origin of the name Lynn:
Lynn is an English baby girl’s name that means “waterfall, lake”. Lynn comes from the Welsh name Llyn which means “lake”. Lynn is sometimes used as a nickname for the name Linda.
Symbolism of the name Lynn:
Lakes and waterfalls are often sacred locations in Celtic mythology and associated with local deities.
Style of the name Lynn:
Gender of the name Lynn:
Lynn is largely a female name. On occasion, it's used for males.
Pronunciation of the name Lynn:
Number of syllables in the name Lynn:
Emotion evoked from the name Lynn:
Lynn evokes feelings of confidence and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Lynn:
Lyn, Lynne, Lin, Linn
Nicknames for the name Lynn:
Popularity of the name Lynn:
According to the Social Security Administration, Lynn is a girl’s name that first became popular in 1908. Lynn was at peak popularity between 1946 and 1968 when it was in the top 100 names. Lynn fell off of the top 1000 popularity list in 1996.
Related names for the name Lynn:
Great middle names for the name Lynn and their meanings:
- Leonore (meaning unknown)
- Hanna (grace)
- Hope (hope)
- Alice (noble)
- Daphne (laurel tree)
- Clover (key)
- Aster (star)
- Margaret (pearl)
- Esther (star)
Famous people with the name Lynn:
- Lynn Redgrave (English actress)
- Lynn Rene Anderson (American country music singer)
- Lynn Berry (American TV journalist)
- Lynn Whitfield (American actress)
- Lynn Hilary (Irish singer-songwriter)
Lynns in popular culture:
- Lynn (literature, “Divergent” trilogy by Veronica Roth)
- Lynn Robillard (television, “Criminal Minds”)
- Lynn Holden (film, “The Wrong Guy”)
- Lynn Loud (television, “The Loud House”)
- Lynn Valerie Lewis (television, “Lewis”)