Wilhelmina is a magnificent baby name for girls. Grandiose in sound, this name is a favorite among royals and within popular media. Wilhelmina “Mina” Murray is a main character in the Dracula franchise, and Wilhelmina Vivian Slater was the iconic diva of the Ugly Betty series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Wilhelmina:
Germanic: Resolute protector; strong-willed warrior
Origin of the name Wilhelmina:
Wilhelmina is the Dutch and German feminine form of Wilhelm. The name derives from the Low Germanic elements willeo (meaning “will” or “resolve”) and helm (meaning “helmet” or “protector”). It relates closely to the Proto-Germanic name Wiljahelmaz and the Old Norse name Vilhjálmr.
Symbolism of the name Wilhelmina:
Wilhelmina is the feminine variation of Wilhelm (meaning “resolute protector” or “strong-willed warrior”). One of the most famous bearers of the name was Wilhelmina Helena Pauline Maria. As the last monarch of the House of Orange-Nassau, Wilhelmina was a gifted orator and represented the Dutch Resistance during World War II. The symbol of Queen Wilhelmina was the pickelhelm (German helmet).
Style of the name Wilhelmina:
Gender of the name Wilhelmina:
Wilhelmina is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Wilhelmina:
Number of syllables in the name Wilhelmina:
Emotion evoked from the name Wilhelmina:
The name Wilhelmina evokes feelings of vigor and virtue.
Alternative spellings for the name Wilhelmina:
Nicknames for the name Wilhelmina:
Popularity of the name Wilhelmina:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Wilhelmina was the 1,815th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Wilhelmina:
Great middle names for Wilhelmina and their meanings:
- Amalie (work, industriousness, hope, water)
- Bao (treasure, gem, jewel)
- Charlotte (free man, strong, virile, petite)
- Helene (bright, shining light, torch, moon)
- Holly (evergreen shrub)
- Iris (rainbow)
- Josette (God will add, God will increase)
- Lake (inland body of water)
- Marguerite (pearl)
- Paola (humble, little, small)
- Sofie (wisdom)
- Trudy (spear of strength)
- Yvonne (archer, bowman, yew tree)
Famous people with the name Wilhelmina:
- Wilhelmina Hay Elizabeth Abbott (suffragette)
- Wilhelmina “Billie” von Bremen (Olympic sprint runner)
- Wilhelmina Gertrud Frieda Cooper (model)
- Wilhelmina Seo Enok (actress)
- Wilhelmina“Wil” van Gogh (feminist and sister of artist Vincent van Gogh)
- Wilhelmina Jane Hanson (daughter of singer Jordan Taylor Hanson)
- Wilhelmina Mary Feemster Jashemski (archeologist)
- Wilhelmina Helena Pauline Maria (longest-reigning Dutch monarch)
- Wilhelmina Frances “Mina” Rawson (writer)
- Wilhelmina “Mina” Wylie (Olympic swimmer)
- Wilhelmena Katherine Fuller “Mena” Webb (writer)
Wilhelmina in popular culture:
- Wilhelmina “Mina” Murray (character in the Dracula franchise)
- Wilhelmina Vivian Slater (character in the Ugly Betty series)
- Wilhelmina “Helma” Zukas (protagonist of the Miss Zukas mystery series)