It is unsure exactly what year the name Isla began, but it is a very popular name throughout the world. Even Queen Elizabeth of England has family members with this name, including her own granddaughter. The name means island whether you are considering the Spanish or the Scottish heritage, and it has a classic feel for the vintage-loving family.
Meaning of the name Isla:
Origin of the name Isla:
The baby name Isla was formed as a shortened form of the name of the island of Islay that is found on the west coast of Scotland. There is also a river called Islay that is found within Scotland. The name is also the same as the Spanish word for island, which is “isla.”
Symbolism of the name Isla:
Isla is popular for girls as it is a simple and sweet name that begins and ends in vowels. It also has a vintage feel that is popular among parents in modern times.
Style of the name Isla:
Gender of the name Isla:
The baby name Isla has a feminine and delicate feel for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Isla:
Number of syllables in the name Isla:
Emotion evoked from the name Isla:
Isla is a very wholesome and natural baby name. It gives a sense of delicacy too.
Alternative spellings for the name Isla:
Nicknames for the name Isla:
Popularity of the name Isla:
At the beginning of the twentieth century, the baby name Isla was on the Social Security Index in 1905 at number 947 and in 1908 at number 955. It was not until nearly 100 years later, in the year 2008, that the name was popular enough for the Social Security Index again. It has been on the top 100 list since 2018, and currently, as of the year 2020, the name Isla is on the top 50 list at number 44.
Related names for the name Isla:
Great middle names for Isla and their meanings:
- Jean (God is gracious)
- Rose (rose, a flower)
- Brianna (high, exalted)
- Renee (reborn)
- Nadine (hope)
- Christine (follower of Christ)
- Elizabeth (God is my oath)
Famous people with the name Isla:
- Isla Fisher (actress, “Now You See Me”)
- Isla Blair (actress, “The Final Cut”)
- Isla Cameron (actress, “The Innocents”)
- Isla Short (racing cyclist)
- Isla Watt (actress, “The Crimson Petal and the White”)
Islas in popular culture:
- Isla Hitchens (character in “Harry Potter”)
- Princess Isla (character in “Across a Star Swept Sea”)
- Isla Forsythe (character in “Emmerdale”)
- Isla (character in “Plastic Memories”)
- Isla (character in “The Discovery”)