- 1/2 cup of caviar or roe (e.g., salmon roe, trout roe, or any preferred roe)
- 16 to 20 mini blinis (small, thin pancakes, available in stores)
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- Fresh chives, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- Prepare the Blinis: If using store-bought blinis, you can heat them according to the package instructions. If you prefer homemade blinis, you can find various recipes online. Ensure they are warm but not hot when serving.
- Set Up: Arrange the warm blinis on a serving platter.
- Assemble: Place a small dollop of crème fraîche on each blini. The crème fraîche provides a creamy base for the caviar or roe.
- Add the Caviar or Roe: Spoon a small amount of caviar or roe on top of the crème fraîche on each blini. Be generous but don't overwhelm the blinis with too much caviar or roe.
- Garnish: Sprinkle finely chopped fresh chives over the caviar or roe-topped blinis. Chives add a mild onion flavor and a pop of color.
- Serve: Arrange the prepared blinis on a serving platter, garnish with lemon wedges, and serve immediately. The lemon wedges can be squeezed over the caviar or roe for a touch of acidity if desired.
- Enjoy: Your caviar or roe appetizer is ready to be enjoyed! Typically, these bite-sized treats are best savored with a glass of champagne or sparkling wine for a touch of elegance.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Yulia Davidovich/Shutterstock.com.