Last Updated on
Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
Spaghetti is an easy to make dish that gives children the energy they need. However, not all kids like spaghetti made in the traditional way, with sauce and meatballs. If you are a parent trying to incorporate spaghetti into your child’s diet, this chicken spaghetti recipe may be just the thing.
The origins of chicken spaghetti are unknown, but it is popular in The South and may have originated there. It can best be described as a cheesy casserole made of spaghetti and chicken with some sort of vegetable added.
When prepared as an alternative to spaghetti and meatballs, this can be a heathier option as well. Chicken is leaner and lower in fat than red meat and the addition of vegetables increases the content of vitamins and nutrients. To make the dish even healthier, look into lower fat cheese substitutes.
The classic version uses American cheese, boiled chicken and tomatoes, but there is a lot of room for creativity. Here are some things you can mix with chicken and spaghetti in your recipes:
- Ripe olives, Velveeta cheese and mushroom soup
- Tomato soup, chopped vegetables and cheese
- Stewed tomatoes, green chili peppers and cheese
- Mushrooms, bell peppers, cheese and homemade sauce
- Homemade cheese sauce, mushrooms and garlic
Our recipe is for chicken spaghetti made the old fashioned way! With a cheesy, creamy, “chicken-y” sauce mixed throughout with noodles; it’s got all your child’s favorite ingredients with the added bonus of chicken.
The bell pepper is a tasty addition but can be left out without sacrificing taste. You can easily substitute the pepper with broccoli or another vegetable for a slightly different taste that is sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
And the addition of the broth and chicken soup give the dish a rich, creamy texture that will take it to the next level. Bon appetit!
3 cups cooked, finely cubed or shredded chicken meat
1 (8 oz.) pkg. spaghetti noodles
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Drain.
2. Coat a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. In a large bowl combine the chicken, cooked spaghetti, bell pepper, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth and 1 cup of the cheese.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix all together.
5. Spread mixture into the baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
6. Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top and bake for another 15 minutes.
Try one of our fan-favorite chicken recipes:
Click for more Chicken recipes