An excellent easy casserole recipe makes the perfect dinner, a one-dish supper to gather the family around the table with. Casseroles are especially great when you want a home-cooked meal that won't take much time to prepare. Casseroles are also quite the ‘ace up their sleeves' of any home cook. They require some of the least amounts of skill and preparation but still come out tasting amazing.
Casserole recipes vary greatly because of the many different ingredients used to make casseroles. Easy casserole recipes are great to use for family dinners, they are hearty meals that are a breeze to make (so the cook gets to enjoy dinner too).
This easy casserole recipe is for chicken and dumplings. Chicken and dumplings are at the top of any list of comfort foods, warm and satisfying for chilly nights. For a richer flavor profile, you can substitute half of the chicken breasts for skinless and boneless chicken thighs.
Chicken and Dumplings
Vegetable cooking spray
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, uncooked
1/2 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
1 (10 ounce) package frozen sliced carrots
2 (13 3/4 ounce) cans chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Spray a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish with vegetable cooking spray.
3. In a medium bowl combine oil and milk. Gradually stir in baking powder, flour, and salt. Mix well until a dough forms.
3. Place the chicken into the bottom of the casserole dish. Cover with celery, onion, and carrots. Sprinkle pepper and sage on top then pour the broth over everything.
4. Form 2-inch balls from the dough mixture and drop them evenly onto the top of the chicken mixture in the casserole dish. Cover tightly and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
For more easy-to-cook and hard-to-put-down meals, check out our Easy Recipes Main Page.