At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Healthy Apricot-Orange Bread Recipe
1 package (6 oz) dried apricots, cut into small pieces
2 cups water
2 Tablespoons trans-free tub margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 Tablespoon orange peel, freshly grated
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup fat free dry milk powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil two 9- by 5-inch loaf pans.
2. Cook apricots in water in covered medium-size saucepan for 10–15 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Drain and reserve 3/4 cup liquid. Set apricots aside to cool.
3. Cream together margarine and sugar. By hand, beat in egg and orange peel.
4. Sift together flour, dry milk, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with reserved apricot liquid and orange juice.
5. Stir apricot pieces and pecans into batter.
6. Turn batter into prepared pans.
7. Bake for 40–45 minutes or until bread springs back when lightly touched in center.
8. Cool for 5 minutes in pans. Remove from pans and completely cool on wire rack before slicing.
Yield: 2 loaves
Serving size: 1/2-inch slice
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 6 mg
Sodium: 113 mg
Total fiber: 1 g
Protein: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Potassium: 110 mg