At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Healthy Banana-Nut Bread Recipe
1 cup ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup lowfat buttermilk
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup margarine
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil two, 9- by 5-inch loaf pans.
2. Stir together mashed bananas and buttermilk. Set aside.
3. Cream brown sugar and margarine together until light. Beat in egg. Add banana mixture and beat well.
4. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add all at once to liquid ingredients. Stir until well blended.
5. Stir in nuts, and turn into prepared pans.
6. Bake for 50–55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. cupool for 5 minutes in pans.
7. Remove from pans and complete cooling on a wire rack before slicing.
Yield: 2 loaves
Serving size: 1/2-inch slice
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 12 mg
Sodium: 138 mg
Total fiber: 1 g
Protein: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Potassium: 114 mg