Banana bread is wonderful for breakfast or as a sweet bread to have with coffee or tea. This banana nut bread recipe has a wonderfully nutty flavor and is perfectly moist. It is very easy to make which makes it a great solution for any time you have too many ripe bananas that may end up wasted otherwise.
If you have a serious craving for this recipe but not the uber-ripe bananas, there is an easy solution to this problem. Just toss your bananas in the freezer the night before and you should be good by the morning. If frozen almost black ripe bananas are quite to your taste, but your under-ripe bananas in a brown paper bag with an apple, and they should be perfectly ripe in a day or so.
Banana Nut Bread
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 mashed bananas
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup chopped nuts
1. Cream together the shortening and sugar.
2. Add the eggs and bananas.
3. Combine the flour and the baking soda.
4. Add the buttermilk alternately with flour to the banana mixture.
5. Add chopped nuts.
6. Mix well and pour into 2 greased pans.
7. Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.