Last Updated on
Quick and Easy Chicken Fried Rice
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon salt, divided
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
2 cups diced cooked chicken breast (rotisserie chicken works well)
3 Tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
3 cups cold cooked brown rice
1. In a small bowl, combine the egg whites, egg, and ¼ teaspoon salt. In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, cook the egg mixture over medium heat. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When the eggs are set, remove, and cut into 1 inch pieces; keep warm.
2. In the same pan, stir fry the onion and garlic until tender.
3. Add vegetables; cover and cook over medium high heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until no longer frozen.
4. Stir in the chicken, soy sauce, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt; cook for 1 minute.
5. Add rice; stir fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through. Add eggs; heat through.
Yield: 4 servings
1¼ cups equals:
4 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
107 mg cholesterol
854 mg sodium
41 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
29 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable