Last Updated on
Pepper and Sausage Calzones
1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
1 cup chopped onion
¾ cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
3 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, divided
3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
3 teaspoons cornmeal
1. Crumble sausage into a large nonstick skillet; add the onion, peppers and 2 teaspoons oil. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
2. Stir in the sherry, vinegar, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon each oregano and rosemary; heat through.
3. Divide each loaf of dough into six portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 6 in. circle. Brush with remaining oil; sprinkle with remaining oregano and rosemary.
4. Spread 1 Tablespoon pizza sauce over each circle. Spoon about ¼ cup sausage mixture on half of each circle to within ½ inch of edges; fold dough over filling and seal edges. Cut a small slit in top.
5. Sprinkle cornmeal over greased baking sheets. Place calzones on baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
6. Bake at 400° for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Warm remaining pizza sauce; serve with calzones.
Yield: 12 servings
One serving (1 calzone with 4½ teaspoons sauce) equals:
9 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
20 mg cholesterol
1,043 mg sodium
48 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
15 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, ½ fat