Many families find themselves tempted to order pizza on Halloween. With trick-or-treating or a Halloween party taking up a lot of time, the idea of making a dinner from scratch sounds like an impossible dream. But, with the right recipe, you can resist the temptation to order out and make something at home instead.
This Jack-O-Lantern pizza is a great alternative to ordering Domino's or Pizza Hut. It isn't difficult to make, and is ready to eat in about 20-25 minutes. Depending on how long the prep takes you, expect this recipe to take about 40-50 minutes in total. If you have your kids give you a hand with the prep, it may even take less time than that.
While the pizza bakes, you can get other things ready for Halloween festivities. Prep the candy, help the kids get their costumes ready, or finish hanging those final decorations. Once the pizza is done, everyone can sit down around the table to enjoy a delicious meal.
Giving your family something to keep them full on the night of Halloween will allow them to enjoy the holiday to its fullest. This is especially true with young children, who will likely grow cranky and fail to have a good time if they're too hungry. With this pizza on the table, your whole family will be happy!
1 lb frozen bread dough, thawed
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
4 oz pepperoni or salami, sliced
Green pepper strips
Ripe olives, sliced
1. Heat over to 325 degrees.
2. Divide thawed dough in half.
3. Roll and stretch each half into a 10-12″ circle on a lightly floured baking sheet.
4. Turn up edges ½” and pinch or pleat.
5. Brush dough with oil; sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese.
6. Mix tomato sauce, onion, salt, oregano and garlic. Pour on circles.
7. Top with Cheddar cheese.
8. Decorate with overlapping pepperoni slices on edge of pizzas, use olive slices for eyes, pepper strips for eyebrows, noses, and smiles.
9. Bake until crust is brown, 20-25 minutes.