Butternut Squash, Chard, and Spinach Lasagna Ingredients:
1 (2 pound) butternut squash
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces baby spinach leaves, washed, drained, but left damp
1 container (16 ounces) part-skim ricotta
½ cup shredded Parmesan
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 bunch red chard, washed, drained, but left damp
1 jar (28 ounces) spicy marinara sauce
8 uncooked whole-wheat lasagna noodles
1½ cups shredded mozzarella
5 freezer- and microwave-safe containers
1. Chop the shallot. Remove stems from chard and coarsely chop.
2. With a knife or fork, poke holes or small slits all over squash. Place on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 5 to 6 minutes or until a knife inserts easily into the skin.
3. Let squash stand for 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Use a vegetable peeler to remove skin. Cut squash in half lengthwise and using a spoon remove seeds. Slice thinly and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
5. In a large nonstick saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and shallot, stirring frequently, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add spinach and cook, stirring until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Transfer spinach and any liquid to a medium bowl to cool slightly. Stir in ricotta, Parmesan, oregano, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set aside.
7. In the same saucepan, add chard and season with salt and pepper. Press down and stir with a spatula for 1 to 2 minutes. Cover and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally, and adding a bit more water if pan gets dry, about 5 to 6 minutes.
8. Pour ½ cup marinara into the prepared baking dish, using the back of a spoon to evenly spread. Lay 3 or 4 noodles in sauce. Spread half of the ricotta mixture on noodles. Layer with butternut squash. Lay 3 or 4 noodles on squash and cover with half of the marinara sauce. Cover with chard and spread remaining ricotta mixture on top. Cover with remaining noodles and sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
9. Spray a large piece of foil with nonstick cooking spray and use it to tightly cover dish. Bake lasagna until sauce is bubbly, about 50 to 55 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more to brown cheese. Remove from oven and let stand at least 15 minutes before cutting.
Divide lasagna into freezer- and microwave-safe containers.
Remove from freezer to defrost. Microwave individual portions on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.