Sirloin Strips and Asparagus Ingredients:
1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 onion, sliced
1 (10¾ ounce) can beef broth, divided
1 pound boneless sirloin steak, trimmed of excess fat and cut into thin strips
1 (10¾ ounce) can tomato puree
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
¼ teaspoon pepper
Whole wheat pasta of your choice, 4 servings
1 gallon freezer bag, labeled
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, coat a large non-stick skillet with non-stick cooking spray and cook asparagus, onion, and ⅔ cup beef broth, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the liquid is almost evaporated; remove the asparagus mixture from the skillet, set aside and keep warm.
3. Add the steak to skillet and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring, until the steak is no longer pink.
4. Return the asparagus mixture to the skillet. Stir in the remaining broth and the tomato puree, basil, and pepper. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes longer, stirring frequently, until the meat is done. Serve over pasta.
Makes 2 entrees, each entree serves 4
Cool to room temperature, transfer to gallon freezer bag, and freeze up to 2 months.
Remove from freezer to defrost. Reheat in a non-stick skillet over low heat until thoroughly heated.
Nutritional facts (doesn’t include pasta):
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable
Sautéed Green Beans Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut on the bias into 2-inch lengths
Salt and pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat until just smoking. Add the beans and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook until spotty brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
2. Clear the center of the skillet and add the remaining teaspoon oil and garlic. Cook, mashing the mixture into the pan, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir it into the beans.
3. Add the water, cover, and cook until the beans are bright green and still crisp, about 2 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat to high, and cook until the water evaporates and the beans are crisp-tender and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the lemon juice and basil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve. Serving size: ¾ cup, serves 4
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!