Chicken Asparagus Bundles
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
20 fresh asparagus spears (about 1 pound), trimmed
4½ teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon dried basil
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon pepper
⅛ teaspoon salt
¼ cup chopped green onions
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
1. Flatten chicken breasts to ½ inch thickness.
2. Wrap each breast around five asparagus spears; secure with toothpicks. Place in a 13 in. x 9 in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
3. Combine the oil, lemon juice, and seasonings; pour over bundles. Cover asparagus tips with foil.
4. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with the onions. Bake 12to 15 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink and asparagus is crisp tender. Remove bundles to a serving platter and keep warm.
5. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and broth until smooth; stir in pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove toothpicks. Serve with sauce.
Yield: 4 servings
One serving (1 bundle with about ⅓ cup sauce) equals:
7 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
66 mg cholesterol
316 mg sodium
6 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
29 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat