3 cups water
1 cube vegetable bouillon, low sodium
2 cups white potatoes, cut in 2-inch strips
2 cups carrots, sliced
4 cups summer squash, cut in 1-inch squares
1 cup summer squash, cut in 4 chunks
1 can (15 oz) sweet corn, rinsed, drained (or 2 ears fresh corn, 1 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk scallion, chopped
1/2 small hot pepper, chopped
1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup tomatoes, diced (add other favorite vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower)
1. Put water and bouillon in large pot and bring to a boil.
2. Add potatoes and carrots, and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except for tomatoes, and continue cooking for 15 minutes over medium heat.
4. Remove four chunks of squash and puree in blender.
5. Return pureed mixture to pot and let cook for 10 minutes more.
6. Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Remove from flame and let sit for 10 minutes to allow stew to thicken.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
Serving size: 11/4 cups
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 1 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 196 mg
Total fiber: 4 g
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Potassium: 524 mg