4 pound beef rump roast
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 peeled, sliced, small onions
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
additional 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
additional 1/4 cup water
Makes 6 servings
1. Dredge the roast in 1/2 cup of flour. Heat the oil and brown the meat on all sides in Dutch oven or heavy kettle, over medium heat, turning as each side is browned, and sprinkling with salt and pepper. This may take up to 20 minutes.
2. Add the onions, 1/2 cup water, ketchup, garlic, dry mustard, thyme, and bay leaf.
3. Cover kettle tightly, and simmer over low heat for 2½ hours, or until a fork can be easily inserted into the roast. Turn occasionally, to cook evenly throughout. If cover does not fit tightly, you may have to add a Tablespoon or so of hot water during cooking.
3. When meat is done, remove it to a heated patter, and keep warm. Discard the bay leaf.
4. Skim off fat from the broth with a spoon.
5. Place kettle again over low heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of flour and the 1/4 cup of water.
6. Simmer, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened. Taste, add a little salt and pepper if needed. Serve over pot roast.
Halloween is the fun holiday, dressing
From budget worksheets to housecleaning schedules (and everything in between),