Flaky Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
1 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
5 cups chicken broth
¾ cup plus 3 Tablespoons butter
¾ cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon ground dried thyme
1 teaspoon minced parsley (fresh)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup chopped carrots
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced ¼ inch thick
½ cup frozen peas, thawed
2 recipes of pastry for a double crust (recipe below)
¼ cup butter, melted
1. Heat oven to 400° degrees F, place oven rack in middle position.
2. Place chicken and broth in a stock pot over medium heat. Cover, bring to a simmer and simmer until the chicken is done (about 10 min.)
3. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl; reserve the broth in a separate cup or small bowl. Cut the chicken meat into bite-sized pieces and return to bowl.
4. In a large saucepan over medium high heat, stir together the ¾ cup butter and the flour for five minutes until smooth.
5. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, continuing to stir until the sauce is smooth and thickens. Add the poultry seasoning, thyme, parsley, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and pepper.
6. In a separate large skillet, warm the remaining 3 Tablespoons butter, add the carrots, onions, and celery and sauté 8 to 10 minutes, or until softened.
7. Add the sautéed vegetables and peas to the sauce and place in a large bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the sauce and refrigerate to cool completely.
8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
9. Roll out the pastry dough and line the bottom and sides of the baking dish with one of the pie crust recipe.
10. Line the pastry with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and remove the pie weights and aluminum foil.
11. Add the reserved the chicken to the vegetable mixture and pour into the prepared crust. Cover with the other pie crust recipe. Pinch together the edges of the top and bottom crust. Cut a slit in the center of the pie.
12. Combine the melted ¼ cup butter and the remaining 1 teaspoons salt. Brush on top of the pastry and place in the oven.
13. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350° F and continue baking for 30 more minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.
14. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Pastry for a Flaky Double Crust Pie
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
½ cup vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into small pieces
4 to 5 Tablespoons ice water
1. Combine flour and salt in medium bowl, cut in butter and shortening until mixture is crumbly.
2. Sprinkle water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, over flour mixture, tossing lightly with a fork until mixture forms an even dough.
3. Form dough into ball and refrigerate, wrapped in plastic, for 1 hour.
4. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to ⅛ of an inch thick.
5. Carefully fold in quarters, lift gently and unfold into pan.
6. Gently press pastry against bottom and sides of pan. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch, then fold the edge under. Pinch edges to flute.