Last Updated on
Sweet Potato Pie has all the ingredients reminiscent of autumn. Spices like cinnamon nutmeg, cloves, and allspice combined with that deliciously creamy sweet potato and brown sugar mixture
Sweet Potato Pie always takes me back to my childhood when my family would gather around on Sunday evening for dessert. My mom would always top the pie with whipped cream, or a side of vanilla ice cream drizzled with caramel sauce. There is nothing like a slice of warm, homemade pie when the weather is cold outside.
This Mini Sweet Potato Pies recipe is a classic, and the cranberry adds something special to the fall
If you like a buttery pastry mini crust, go with puffed pastry cups instead of the refrigerated pie crust. For large gatherings or special occasions, the pastry cups will add to the
To add a few shortcuts to your Mini Sweet Potato Pies recipe, save time by precooking your sweet potatoes. Once they have been cooked, they can simply stay in the pot or in the oven until you are ready to prepare the pies.
A good tip for making these desserts faster is to boil the sweet potatoes in a large Dutch oven filled with water and a few sprinkles of salt. I always leave the skin on to save time. Simply wash the fresh sweet potatoes with warm water and place them in the pot. Drain the water and let the sweet potatoes cool off. Once they are cool to the touch, simply peel off the skins and discard them.
You can mash the potatoes with a potato masher before combining the other ingredients to make them softer. It helps to make smoother tasting pies.
Sweet potatoes are also very healthy vegetables as they offer a rich source of fiber and many essential vitamins and minerals like iron, selenium, and calcium. They are packed with vitamins B and C, and beta-carotene. There are also purple, yellow and white sweet potatoes in addition to orange.
One of the nicest things about baking Sweet Potato Pies is knowing everyone has their own recipe. All the women in my family from my mother to my sisters, we all have our own recipe for preparing this pie.
Every pie has its own unique spice and
If you like this recipe, try these!Print
- ¾ pound sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 (9 inch) refrigerated pie crust
- ¾ cup evaporated skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ cup halved cranberries (optional)
- Place the sweet potato in a saucepan with just enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, and cook until fork tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain and mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Divide the pie crust into 24 small balls.
- Press them into the cups of two 12 cup mini muffin pans to make tartlet shells. Set aside.
- Spoon the sweet potato into a blender or food processor, and add the evaporated milk, egg whites, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Puree until smooth. Spoon about 1 Tablespoon of this mixture into each tart shell.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into one of the tarts comes out clean. Cool in the pans over a wire rack. Garnish each tart with a cranberry half before serving.