4 large squatty green peppers
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
½ cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 egg, beaten
½ teaspoon additional salt
¼ teaspoon additional pepper
2 cups tomato sauce
½ teaspoon garlic salt
fine dry bread crumbs
Makes 4 servings
1. Wash peppers. Cut thin slice from stem end of each; remove membranes and seeds.
2. Cook peppers in boiling salted water to cover for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well and rinse under cold water. Pat dry inside and out with dry towels; sprinkle insides and out with salt and pepper.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Cook ground beef and onion in a skillet until browned, stirring to crumble meat. Drain in a colander.
5. Transfer to a bowl and stir in next four ingredients, mixing well. Stuff peppers with mixture and place peppers upright in a baking dish.
6. Mix garlic salt into tomato sauce. Pour sauce over and around peppers in dish. Sprinkle tops of peppers with bread crumbs.
7. Bake for 25 minutes.
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!