Cheesesteaks are delicious, but can be too heavy with the usual thick rolls. By using pita bread you get the full flavor of traditional cheesesteak with a lot less heavy carbs. The onion rings round this out to make it a complete dinner in 30 minutes.
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
14 ounces frozen beef or frozen chicken sandwich steak, separated into 8 portions
1 1/2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (if using canned mushrooms, drain liquid before using)
4 pita breads (6-inch), warmed
large bag of frozen onion rings
1. Prepare onion rings in oven according to package directions. Spray lightly with olive oil cooking spray, then lightly salt for crispier onion rings.
2. While onion rings are baking, heat oil in skillet. Add sliced onion and cook until tender.
3. Add sandwich steaks and cook until browned. Pour off fat.
4. Add cheddar cheese and mushrooms and heat through.
5. Turn off stove burner, then cover pan to keep steak mixture warm.
6. Place pita pockets into oven with onion rings during the last 2 minutes of baking.
7. Remove pitas and onion rings from oven.
8. Spoon cheese steak mixture into pita pockets. Serve with onion rings.
Halloween is the fun holiday, dressing
From budget worksheets to housecleaning schedules (and everything in between),
Use our free meal plans so you don't have to worry about what's for dinner! They're weekly menus; complete meals with side dishes and recipes. All family pleasing dishes even picky kids will love.