This baked potato soup recipe is a hearty winter favorite that is both substantial and oh so yummy. It is a great way to use up any leftover baked potatoes. Topped with enticingly aromatic bacon and sinewy, savory cheese this creamy soup is sure to bring the most finicky eater to the dinner table.
Baked potato soup is filling enough to be the star of any meal. Some suggested accompaniments are cornbread or for lighter fare, a nice crisp salad.
4 large baking potatoes
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk
4 green onions, chopped
12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/4 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
8 ounces sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Bake potatoes until done. Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp and set aside.
2. Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.
3. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
4. Add potato pulp, salt and pepper, 2 tablespoons of the green onion, 1/2 cup bacon and 1 cup cheese.
5. Cook until heated thoroughly and stir in sour cream. Add more milk if necessary (but it should be served thick).
6. Serve with remaining green onions, bacon and cheese on top.
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!