These baked meatballs are a great healthy recipe for the Italian food lovers in your family. The onions sauteeing will fill your kitchen with the warm, delicious smells of Italy! With just a bit of tomato paste, you cut down on some of the fat for a more balanced meatball.
The whole milk and eggs will give these meatballs a rich, authentic flavor that will quickly make them a family favorite. With just a touch of garlic, they'll please even the pickiest of eaters in your family. You can double or triple the batch and freeze the extras in meal-size portions so you'll have a healthy recipe ready on those days you're just too busy to cook, just be sure to double-wrap them to prevent freezer burn.
Serve it all with a big salad for a quick, easy, and healthy meal.
- ¼ cup onions, minced
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons of Tomato paste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease the baking sheet lightly with oil.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and onions to a small skillet. Cook over medium heat, until tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a bowl; add onions. Mix until blended, using a large serving spoon.
4. Shape beef mixture into 1- to 2-inch meatballs; place on baking sheet.
5. Bake until thoroughly cooked, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Makes 4 Servings of about 3 meatballs each, plus 4 servings for another meal