At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Healthy Turkey Casserole Recipe
Finally, a way to eat turkey that doesn’t involve hours of roasting, and a half dozen side dishes that are loaded with fat and calories! This easy, healthy recipe uses ground turkey for a rich, meaty casserole without lots of fat to slow you down.
The cabbage gives this dish a nice boost of flavor, vitamins and fiber. If you want to up the fiber content even more, substitute brown rice for the white rice the recipe calls for, just rememeber brown rice usually takes a little longer to cook, so adjust accordingly.
1 cup cabbage, shredded
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 cup white rice, uncooked
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
1. Place shredded cabbage in a lightly greased 2-quart casserole dish.
2. In skillet cook turkey until browned and no longer pink in color. Add chopped onions; stir occasionally and cook 3 minutes. Add uncooked rice to cooked turkey.
3. Place turkey-rice mixture over cabbage in casserole dish.
4. Combine tomato sauce, garlic, and oregano. Pour over cooked turkey.
5. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F, about 1 hour.
Makes 4 Servings, about 2 cups each
Total fat 11 grams
Saturated fat 3 grams
Cholesterol 77 milligrams
Sodium 829 milligrams