At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
Peppery Cheese and Veggie Potato Skillet
1 large onion, finely chopped
1½ cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1½ cups chopped green pepper
⅓ cup canola oil
6 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
½ cup sliced ripe olives
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced or ¼ cup jarred jalapeno slices (about 30)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons minced chives
1. Sauté the onion, mushrooms and pepper in oil, in a large nonstick frying pan, until tender.
2. Add hash browns, crumbling evenly across the pan.
3. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are browned, stirring often.
4. Stir in the tomato, cheese, olives, jalapeno, seasoned salt and pepper.
5. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.
6. Divide potatoes evenly among four plates and sprinkle top of each mixture with chives before serving.
Makes 4 servings
1 serving equals
14 grams fat (4 g saturated fat)
20 mg cholesterol
595 mg sodium
38 grams carbohydrate
4 grams fiber
12 grams protein